I have yet to get Matt to sit in one place long enough to write up his story. I’ll put up his pictures tomorrow. Aside from one short jaunt over to hunt Sunday evening, I spent most of the weekend starting to process some of the bear.
I put together the cure for some bear bacon, and I started to render the fat.
I got the recipe for the brine here. It’s sitting in my fridge still, and will for a few more days. I’m flipping it twice a day so the cure goes through.
I didn’t get it all rendered- there’s still quite a bit to go. I’m letting it solidify in pans so I can cut it into cubes and be measured easier. I’m also waiting for there to be more space in the freezer so I can let it actually harden. There will be more than I can really use when I’m done rendering it. I haven’t decided what to do with all of it yet.