I’d been checking on my homebrew off and on for the last couple weeks. It had been stubbornly bubbling along, until sometime around Tuesday. I checked in on it again, and there were finally no bubbles. I decided to give it a few days, to make absolutely certain fermentation had stopped, but also until I had a day off.
So, sanitize everything you plan to use, etc, etc. Since I’m carbonating this stuff, I opted to use eight 16 ounce swing top bottles. Had I just carbonated it in another gallon jug, I was concerned it would go flat, because I definitely can’t drink that much wine that fast. So. once they had been sanitized, I added the priming sugar tablets.
With that done, it was time to siphon. I got yet another healthy tasting of my wine doing this, and it’s good. On the strong side, too. I also stained my leg and the lower kitchen cabinets. And two towels.
So, once they were filled, I wiped down the mouth of the bottle and clamped the swing top shut. I swished each bottle a little bit to get the sugar tablets dissolved a bit more easily.
It should take two to three weeks for them to carbonate properly. And each bottle should be roughly 2 glasses of wine. Once I get a chance to drink it, I can report back on its potency, since I wasn’t able to get specific gravity measures before I fermented it. That taste I got tonight was a pretty strong one, though.
See the earlier parts of this process here: