I’m sitting here, waiting for my nail polish to dry on my toes, and Matt is on his way to and from his office at the other end of town. He left his uniform belt and one of his medals there. He needs both for the cocktail event tonight. So, I figured before I was out for the entire weekend, I’d share the progress we made on Ditch Boat yesterday and this morning.
We basically set in to the gutting process for the old girl. Yesterday afternoon we pulled the now-empty fuel tank. We tried to pry it out with a shovel, but it wasn’t going. We dug out some of the old buoyancy foam, and hooked the engine hoist to it.
I then had to leave for work, and Matt had something else to go do. Work was incredibly busy, and I didn’t get home until nearly midnight. Matt was still up, and told me he’d gotten a lot of crap out of the boat. I went outside to look, and sure enough.
So, we went to bed, planning to get more done on it this morning, before we leave for this cocktail dinner thing. We spent a good two hours on it. We got a lot of the debris shovelled out. All the wood was so rotted it was nearly just really wet compost. Matt had also picked up a Bagster from Home Depot. We used one when we renovated the kitchen, and they’re super convenient, and cheaper than renting a dumpster. Like, maybe $80 for buying the thing and getting it hauled off. Granted, they’re smaller, but we never had enough crap to fill a whole dumpster.
So, with the rear more or less stripped to the hull, it was my turn to get up in the front of the boat and start taking out partitions. I’m small enough to fit, and Matt also hurt his wrist. He can’t really turn a screw driver or wrench. All the partitions were attached with some pretty long screws that required a square bit. And the drill could only reach some of them. So, I got to work.
So, we got out the grody old toilet, which we may just clean up and re-use. And the holding tank. That, let me tell you, was disgusting. Luckily there was little to no, well, shit, in it. It was just smelly blue water that had been in there since the early 90s. We ended up having to cut the pump-it-out hose, which meant that some leaked out onto the floor. It’s supposed to be pretty warm this weekend, so we’re hoping it will dry up. If anything, the entire floor is getting ripped out anyway, so. No big deal. I took some grocery bags and wrapped them around all the hose ports on the tank, then duct taped them down so we can drain it someplace safe. We’ll have to go after the console a bit later. There are 3 or 4 more small screws holding it up that we can’t get at, and we ran out of time to continue trying. We had to come inside, get ourselves cleaned up, and then pack for the rest of the weekend.
Apparently, when Matt was working on it alone yesterday, he found an old drain hose, which may have once gone to the bilge, under the foam towards the front. Said foam is completely, entirely waterlogged. And it stinks to high heaven. This is just confirming our suspicion that much of the weight was waterlogged, rotten contents. We’re still on the look out for a new trailer, though.
Besides all that, I’m painting my nails, and I packed all our rods and tackle into the truck. I’m just waiting for Matt to get back so we can get on our way to this gig and then head out to fish. I’m clearing all the memory cards and charging up all the cameras. Hopefully we get some good stuff to bring back. Oh, and salmon.