Saturday morning we got up, and looked over our new prize. There was a lot of junk in it, sadly.
We cleared out all the old seat springs and bits of metal trim. It still had the metal frames for benches, which I may or may not keep. We found two really old downriggers. This was a salmon fishing boat before.
We cleared out all the junk, and then we took some measurements and discussed what we wanted to do from here. We also took down the model number so we could figure out when this boat is from. It’s a Reinell boat. It was made in 1972 or 1973. Unable to find much about that model and year online, I found a contact email from Reinell’s website, and sent them a line requesting either a link to a pdf of an owner’s manual, or to have one shipped to me if they could. We’ll see how that goes.
I got a hold of my dad Friday night, asking if he wanted to help with the motor. He actually said he’d love to. We’re probably going to rent one of those Bagster things from Waste Management for all the crap we yank out of it. Matt wants to get an engine crane ASAP, to relieve that poor trailer of at least that much weight. That would also make it easier for dad to work on it. As nervous as lifting something so heavy so high makes me, it’s a good idea.
So far, we aren’t entirely sure how we want the interior to look. It was originally covered with a bright green vinyl matching the green stripe on it (early 70s, remember?). We’ll have to do basically everything on it, honestly. But this is going to be a long haul project. Probably not ready for the water until next year. This will give us time to work on it gradually. And time to find a new freaking trailer.
Sunday afternoon, we went out and picked up an 2 ton engine hoist. Farm and Fleet had them on sale. Matt wanted to get the weight of the engine at least off the trailer. We assembled the hoist (no mean feat itself), and got to disconnecting all the parts that needed disconnecting.
Before we got everything pulled out, I called my dad to see if he had any sage advice. With his help, I found the engine identification number on a tag beneath the distributor cap. The engine was built in June of 1972, and it’s a 302 cubic inch V-8. He also advised that we try to turn the engine over manually from the flywheel, just to see if it would go. If the engine was locked up, it’s just a very large, greasy paperweight. We yanked the sparkplugs (which are nearly on the bottom of the engine and tough to reach), and he was able to turn it. We’ll also drain out the water that may have been left in the engine. He also told us to remove the lower unit first.
So, after un-bolting the six lag bolts holding the lower unit on, Matt got to disconnecting all of the engine mount bolts. We only have one ratchet set, so I was in charge of loosening and removing any hoses and wires.
It went fairly smoothly, except for the two bolts on the right side of the engine. They were bolted in to a 4×4, which was rotted enough that they were just spinning, and the threads weren’t biting in enough to reverse out, but not enough to just pull loose. With me checking to make sure he didn’t puncture the hull, Matt carefully Sawz-All-ed all around the bolts (as carefully as one can wield a Sawz-All, that is). Then we carefully, gradually applied pressure with the hoist. It took a while, but eventually the rotten wood gave, and we got the thing lifted out. Around 9pm Sunday evening.
We’ll need to pick up a third chain and hook, as once we got the engine up a little bit, we saw a third mount on the rear on the engine. It was tilting a lot when we hoisted it, so this should help even it out to get it safely over the side of the boat.