There isn’t too much to report from this weekend. With the winter storm (are they really still winter storms at this point?) all last week, rain forecast for the entire weekend, a work function for Matt Saturday and a meeting for me on Sunday, we didn’t have any hard and fast plans. Imagine our surprise when it rained neither day. We got some stuff done around the house, though.
Remember the huge ice chunk in the front of the boat? Saturday, while Matt was at his work function, I stepped outside to bail more water so it wouldn’t rot out the wooden bottom. I noticed the ice hunk had shrunken. So I poked it with a shovel. It moved, so I grabbed onto that there life vest and gave it a tug. It slid most of the way out. It was frozen around an extension cord running to the front bowfishing lights, but I figured at least this way the sun would hit it. Matt later broke it apart in his typical Hulk-Smash fashion, and now the ice is all out of the boat. He also loosened all of the lug nuts on the trailer tires, and he’ll be picking up tires at some point today or tomorrow. So, by next weekend, we should finally have a functioning boat trailer again. The lakes finally opened up this past week, so it will be good to get out and motor around, or bowfish.
Remember the dryer I mentioned? Whenever we first picked it up, it was missing its cord. We picked up a cord and a box to plug it into, but our garage was not wired for the electrical load of a dryer. So, fast forward to this weekend: we have heavier gauge romex, and we’re re-wiring our garage. Years ago, before I showed up, Matt had finished the garage to be his mancave (we can’t get our cars back to it anyway). The small crawl space up in the rafters above the ceiling is storage. However, yours truly is the one who always gets stuck going up there, whether to haul down holiday decorations, or in this case, to crawl through mouse poop, the desiccated remains of a squirrel, dead wasp bodies, and falling-down fiberglass insulation.
I pulled the wire up through the ceiling drywall, spliced it together with another length of romex (the first roll we bought was short by 10 feet), and crawled down to the peak of the roof to poke it through a hole in the outer wall to be run to the circuit box. We plugged in the heavy duty breaker, wired it in, and then flipped the switch. No fire, no explosions, no fatal electrocutions, plus the dryer ran. The heating element on it was broken, so it just tumbled the hides around in there with an old pair of Matt’s tennis shoes to beat them up. They’re still going.
We did make a quick attempt to fish, since most of the waterways here have dropped a bit after being near flood stage all last week. It was bank fishing from a spot where we always see lots of trucks parked. We didn’t catch anything. The current was up, the water still quite murky, and it was very windy. It didn’t help that the spot was incredibly littered. Fishing litter, yes, but also just garbage from the road. It was sad.
This also happened to be the the lower end of a marsh that we fish for catfish and use for duck hunting. Like I said, no fish to be caught, but I did see this little guy.